It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rotate obiect from mouse cursor in 3d
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 am 

Welcome

I would like to do a rotation in the direction of the cursor mouse like Shadowgrounds. In 2d no problem. I do not know how to correctly calculate the 3D game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Admin

In 3d it is a little trickier than 2D. Here is the general idea.

First you need to find out where the cursor is in 3D space. You can do this by projecting a line from the camera to the cursor's position. Where this line intersects the "ground" is where the cursor is pointing.

Once you have this co-ordinate, you can then figure out how much to rotate your character to point in that direction. Create a vector from your character to the 3D Point. Using the dot product between this vector and the vector pointing in the direction that the character is currently facing, you can get the angle that the character will need to turn. To know the rotation axis, you can take the cross product between the two vectors. Make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 am 

Thanks for answer.

Quote:
Once you have this co-ordinate, you can then figure out how much to rotate your character to point in that direction. Create a vector from your character to the 3D Point. Using the dot product between this vector and the vector pointing in the direction that the character is currently facing, you can get the angle that the character will need to turn. To know the rotation axis, you can take the cross product between the two vectors. Make sense?

I know (this step i use in my 2d game like "alien breed").

Quote:
First you need to find out where the cursor is in 3D space. You can do this by projecting a line from the camera to the cursor's position. Where this line intersects the "ground" is where the cursor is pointing.

Intersection - forgot - thanks. I try. [/quote]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]