It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Moving/Mapping in 3d outerspace
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:47 am 

First, I'm in the theory stage of this. It's a 3d space game with x, y an z axis.

1 parsec = 100,000au, 1au = 100,000km. This part is easy enough, when distance hits 100k, it rolls back to 0 and au in incremented an so on.

The problem I'm having is trying to find an interface for moving. Coord. are xyz. x = parsec, au, km, y and z are the same, so to move from point to point you'd be entering 9 different numbers just to move. It seems a bit stupid for a game or even reality for that matter.

The solution I came up with is a sphere, with the ship being the center. y for left & right, x for up and down, z for the roll of the ship. It works fine until I try to add it to the xyz system which I use to place solar systems an such. I have no clue how to do this.

The concept is you can fly around with a joystick, but if you wanted to, you can enter a set of arbitrary coordinates, hit autopilot and go into hyperspace and pop out at those coordinates and explore or blow up if you've popped out in the middle of a sun.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or an easier solution? Thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]