It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some thoughts on your site...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 am 

I'm sure this will be promptly deleted; but I have to say your site has been a horrible experience.

$40/month for video tutorials or a free one every 45minutes. The first one is a few seconds long, .rar'd which for anyone that understands security concerns wouldn't open without scanning with at least one anti-virus (no offense, but I don't trust you and there are sites set to look legit that pump out infected files, though they're easy to get so you're might be legit...). Its got several files in it but isn't clear which to run/use. I wont open an HTML file for other security reason.

Now I don't get to pick WHICH free video AND have to go in order (because I'm not giving you $10 to try a video out), so I have to watch an introduction video that has no learning in it. Now I have to wait 45 more minutes before I get to try another and see if you can actually teach? I'll have forgotten about your site by then and moved on to something that helps me faster.

So I decide to be nice and not be like 99% of your traffic that just never to returns again because of the above listed issues, and I have to log in again for the forums? Its 2013, not 2001.

You might be a great teacher, I can with quite a bit of certainty say I will never find out because I wont wait 45 minutes to download what looks like the next video which is only 5 minutes long?

I'm sure you have a few paying customers, there is a sucker born every day they say. I also wish you the best of luck with the site. But $40/month is insanely expensive when other projects are giving out commercial grade engines with free videos to boot (I wont mention or link to any, nor do I use them myself).

What actually got me to your site was a posting in another form (in the sig) and was looking for a place my friend could learn since I have no time to make video tutorials for her. But I will keep on looking, I was willing to pay, but I'm not into being robbed either.

Again, best of luck.

Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on your site...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:39 am 

MikeL wrote:
I'm sure this will be promptly deleted; but I have to say your site has been a horrible experience.

$40/month for video tutorials or a free one every 45minutes. The first one is a few seconds long, .rar'd which for anyone that understands security concerns wouldn't open without scanning with at least one anti-virus (no offense, but I don't trust you and there are sites set to look legit that pump out infected files, though they're easy to get so you're might be legit...). Its got several files in it but isn't clear which to run/use. I wont open an HTML file for other security reason.

Now I don't get to pick WHICH free video AND have to go in order (because I'm not giving you $10 to try a video out), so I have to watch an introduction video that has no learning in it. Now I have to wait 45 more minutes before I get to try another and see if you can actually teach? I'll have forgotten about your site by then and moved on to something that helps me faster.

So I decide to be nice and not be like 99% of your traffic that just never to returns again because of the above listed issues, and I have to log in again for the forums? Its 2013, not 2001.

You might be a great teacher, I can with quite a bit of certainty say I will never find out because I wont wait 45 minutes to download what looks like the next video which is only 5 minutes long?

I'm sure you have a few paying customers, there is a sucker born every day they say. I also wish you the best of luck with the site. But $40/month is insanely expensive when other projects are giving out commercial grade engines with free videos to boot (I wont mention or link to any, nor do I use them myself).

What actually got me to your site was a posting in another form (in the sig) and was looking for a place my friend could learn since I have no time to make video tutorials for her. But I will keep on looking, I was willing to pay, but I'm not into being robbed either.

Again, best of luck.

Mike I can understand your concerns with Marek's website; however I have been working with his tutorials since nearly the beginning. His site has change 2-3 times since then and his first two series of videos were done in one type of format that runs the videos in an html file through a flash / java format. Sometime into his 3rd or 4th series which would be the Ghost Toast series he change his video format and consolidated them into one large video file. His teaching is far above par, and one of the best tutorials I have seen on the net. In the beginning through the OpenGL engine he started the project as switch in control between rendering with OpenGL and DirectX but as time went on he strip out the switch calls for DirectX and stayed with OpenGL. His explanation of code and his methods of why he chose to right code in a certain manner is very intuitive and a great resource. Yes, I can agree with his prices being fairly steep in some ways however taking into account every video on this site is done in his spare time take a lot of work and effort on his part. I have never had any security issues, virus, bugs etc. from opening any of his files. I have used various AVs over the past 5 years and all scans are clean, I have used Eset's NOD32 then Eset's Smart Security 4 & 5, then I switched to using Vypre 2013. There is no security issues. There is three methods of purchasing his content and each have their purposes. When I first started using his website in around 2008 - 09 a membership was free but to download videos without a purchase you had to wait 3 1/2 days to get a video download credit and using this method you had to download in sequence. But if you purchased a membership you were able to download any video. Over time he changed this to where you need to either purchase a monthly membership or download credits. If you are an existing member such as I am and are up to date with the videos, just purchasing the download credits for the Mega Byte capacity is all you truly need. Waiting 45 minutes to download the next file is not that bad of a wait time. If you are in my position yes it is a waste to purchase a monthly membership waiting for the next video lesson to be available. However if you are brand new to the site and you happen to purchase a monthly membership with adequate download credits, there is no wait time between downloads and you can download any video you want, there is no order involved. The third method is to purchase each series individually or in bundles. I have never really had any complaints about his site, only to the extent that I wait anxiously for his next lesson. His first three videos series not including his C++ series which are the OpenGL, Physics Engine, and Ghost Toast are very good to learn the mechanics that happen behind the scenes in a game engine. It teaches concepts of rendering 3D objects in a 3D world, the graphics pipeline, camera movement, scene graph hierarchy, lighting and materials, texturing, texture transforms, object transforms, file parsing, creating custom GUIs and HUDs. It covers basic physics simulations, collision detections and animations and 3D sound environments. Everything at this point is all done on the CPU. Once we get into the Shader series then we take the same concepts as before but use the GPU to do vertices and rendering calls and the game engine is improved and the logic is split to where all core objects that are universal to the Game Engine is contained in one library and all game content is contained in an executable project that inherits from the Game Engine, this way the code is reusable to make various games. I hope this information helps you. Kudos to Marek!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

A lot of things have changed over the years since the first video went up online. The early video's are encoded in adobe flash so that is why you need to open HTML files to view them. The newer videos are avi files so you can watch them in any regular video player.

BTW, where did you get $40/month from? Perhaps that was an old price that you saw in one of the videos, for current prices visit the store here: http://www.marekknows.com/store.php

If you are looking for a commercial game engine, then this website is not for you. The video tutorials are meant to teach you game development, C++ and OpenGL programming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm 

The sign up page listed $9.95/2 weeks with 750mb download I believe it was. 2 x $9.95 rounded up is $40/month.

Also, as I wrote, I'm not looking for help, it was for a friend I want to make indie games with. I've done engine coding on published console games, like any good coder I just read the documentation of whatever it is I'm using or the standard for the language. I've instead decided to make a visual development interface so he can link things together. What I did this weekend, its not pretty but functional. He's already making scripts (Lua based). I'll pass on the link, $10/month doesn't seem to bad if it gives good access.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:17 pm 

Huh? $9.95 rounded up is $10. How is 2 * 10 = 40? If you got that one wrong so many times, I doubt you are going to "make
a visual development tool" anytime soon.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]