It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do you have any experience moving a website from one host to
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:15 am 
Site Admin

I've decided that it is time to upgrade from my current web host provider. I've never moved a website from one hosting provider to another so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on things to do before, during and after the move to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Post subject: Re: Do you have any experience moving a website from one hos
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:28 am 

mhm... I think you have a mysql database and the website is in php. Nothing else, right?
Sould not be difficult do a migration. If the domain service let you edit the DNS you can just edit the IP to the new server. (and ofc, you have to set it right in the new host, not every host let you add a new domain name). If they don't let you edit the dns you need to make a migartion domain to the new host.

For the website just upload everything, change the settings of the website to target the new database and change the relative path and should be everything ok =D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 am 

Also, to prevent your website from being changed in any way, you could create a simple page saying that the site is down for maintenance.
htaccess is great for this: http://davidwalsh.name/htaccess-mainten ... e-redirect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Darwin wrote:
Also, to prevent your website from being changed in any way, you could create a simple page saying that the site is down for maintenance.
htaccess is great for this: http://davidwalsh.name/htaccess-mainten ... e-redirect

Thanks, I have a similar mechanism built into the website which I intend to use once the move starts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]