It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: DirectX
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:38 pm 

is there a reason you chose OpenGL over DirectX? perhaps once done with the OGL game engine you can make a parallel DX one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:46 am 

There wouldn't be much of a difference, only the renderer will need changing to use DirectX code. All the rest, for example, the Scene graph will remain the same. (You might want to use DirectInput, which again is just changing the keyboard/mouse routines)

You could try implementing a DirectX renderer as a learning (if your are learning DirectX) process.
Then ask questions as you get along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:44 pm 

Well, I have done far from all the VMKs, and I can't be sure of anything, but Marek does keep talking about doing things for when he's going to implement DirectX support, so I guess you're request is in there already.

And what advantages does DirectX have, except for maybe being a tad bit easier and bundling some different functions (where you can choose a library that suits your needs with OGL - okey using DirectX doesn't prevent you from using a different library, but still). OpenGL does obviously have advantages over DirectX (cross-platformness, anyone?).

Just ignore that last paragraph, that was just my "open source"-mind set (if you can call it such... I just mean the way I think about programming) speaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:56 pm 

is DX better for windows b/c its updated?? ex. updates every 3/4 months and comes with a boatload of docs...not to mention windows is centered around DX (VISTA!)

p.s. why is OGL still at 1.1 implementation for Windows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

qsik777 wrote:
is DX better for windows b/c its updated?? ex. updates every 3/4 months and comes with a boatload of docs...not to mention windows is centered around DX (VISTA!)

p.s. why is OGL still at 1.1 implementation for Windows?

I could have chosen to use DirectX rather than OpenGL. Both do the same thing. OpenGL is a little easier to learn I think because there are fewer functions in the API and there is one less transform in the pipeline.

As mentioned earlier, you can convert the Game Engine from OpenGL to DX quite easily, most of the gl function calls almost have an exact DX equivalent.

One reason why I didn't choose DX to start with was because it is constantly changing. I wanted something that everyone would be able to get going right away. With directX you have to worry about having the correct version.

OpenGL is actually up to version 2.1 right now. See http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/ for details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:42 pm 

I've heard that OpenGL on Vista is 86% slower than on XP. Apparently Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to implement a translation layer (that sucks).

This kind of thing could kill OpenGL for Windows. It is nice though if you are aiming at porting your game for multiple platforms. Don't most games these days give you a choice anyway.

Seems to me it is a good thing to support both anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:51 pm 

Quote:
I've heard that OpenGL on Vista is 86% slower than on XP. Apparently Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to implement a translation layer (that sucks).

I think people might just be spreading rumours. This is the official stance on this topic from OpenGl.org

http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:49 pm 

OGL is at v 2.1 but the version included with Windows in the PSDK is the 1.1 version am i not correct??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:07 am 

Windows (from Win 95) ships with openGL header files that are for 1.0 (or 1.1 cant remember which).
For example, if your video card supports openGL 2.1 and you download the latest driver for your video card, it will implement openGL version 2.1
but your header files are for 1.1. However, this doesn't mean you can't use 2.1 functionalities.
To access the new capablities on your card, you need to use extensions (wgl...) and get the latest extension headers from opengl.org or your vidoe card manufacture's website.

Last edited by codeslasher on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:33 am 

OpenGL is a good choice :)

I can use your wmk with Windows and Mac OS X (with the glfw library)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 am 

why is there no file format for OGL? wouldnt that simplify things?

also, what does DX 10 have that OGL 2.1 doesnt have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:44 am 

1. It would simplify things, but also limit your possibilities. OpenGL is meant to be very toplevel, and if you want to simply load models in OpenGL, you should find out if someone else decided to write a library that lets you do that.

2. platform independency, a good extensions system

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]