It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: No opening the rar-archives in linux
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 pm 

As I finally got my linux partition to work again, I have been doing things from linux lately. And in doing so I noted that all of the packages in the Debian repositories (actually only tried the free ones, not the shareware) produced errors when unarchiving the file Physics-VMK001C-VSyncGUI.rar.

I will have a look at other files later and will tell you about it. (I am currently typing from windows as I had to check the file was not corrupted)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:58 pm 

So... I tried it out a bit more, and I guess I cannot open any of the VMKs - I tried the next physics VMK and the first (001) game dev VMK.
Free VMKs seem to let me download send_file.php the majority of the times. This only occured to me with truly free VMKs, as both free and non-free VMKs in this story (except for physics) are marked as purchased - as they should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

So are you saying this is a problem with Linux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am 

No, that's not what I am saying. I actually looked into this matter and the problem lies with the rar format.

The algorithms used for compressing and decompressing rar-archives are proprietary code. The algorithms for some earlier versions of the format have been released, and thus some archives can be decompressed successfully (that's why there are programs being able to read rar-files to some extend). The current algorithms (rar 3.0) are only available from rarlab, or from other companies that use libraries made by rarlab. In essence, they control who can and who cannot unarchive rar-archives.

Know, I must note that I use Debian, which has a very strict policy about freeness of the software in their repositories (free as in beer, but also as in free speech). There might be some way of getting it to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 am 
Site Admin

ahhh, I got ya. So what compression format would you recommend that I use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 pm 

hm.. let's see:

- zip is more prone to corruption while it compression is less
- tar.gz is good, but many windows users will freak out when they see it (while programs like winrar handle it perfectly)
- 7z looks good to me, but I have not tried it nor will the majority of the people have heard of it

I guess there are no really good alternatives. If you would be forced to use an alternative, I would choose 7z. However, you are not forced, and I guess in the end that few linux-users will either be forced to find some solution or just not download anything.

-- that's the rule of the majority (and yes, if I could, I would change where the moajority lies, as it's currently currently staying with windows because... the majority of the people use windows :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:43 pm 

If you want an alternative, try 7z.

The program 7Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) is open source and does a great job at compressing files. It also handles many formats.

From the web site -
Quote:
Supported formats:

* Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
* Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 pm 

It's mostly open source, it's rar-functionality is not open source... so I guess I couls also use it to open the files. But it's a good program all the same and most importantly, the format is actually open.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]