It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: GameSpace Light Models
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:02 am 

I am trying to load 3D objects from trueSpace 7.6 but the file extensions are .RsObj and .RsScn, as opposed to the plain .obj and .scn. Is this a problem? I tried the GameSpace download from the DVD but it asked for a serial number and I didn't see one on the DVD. So that's why I'm using the free release of trueSpace.

Also, is that model that you use in the VMK included in the source code somewhere? I looked for it under resources but couldn't find it.

Thanks very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:11 am 

wow, I just found the cob in the description of the VMK. Nevermind. I don't know how I overlooked it before!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:12 am 
Site Admin

Since Microsoft shutdown caligari earlier this year, gameSpace stopped working. However you can use the free version of trueSpace v7.6 to do everything (and more) that gameSpace could do.

To open a caligari cob or obj file in trueSpace v7.6 you first have to press a button that puts trueSpace into trueSpace v6 mode. I don't have trueSpace installed on my system anymore so I can't tell you exactly where this button is located, but if memory serves me correct, I think the button was located in the top right hand corner right below the tool bar.

Once you switch to trueSpace v6 mode, there is a File menu that appears (I think also on the right side) and in that menu you will find a File->Import or File->Open command that lets you open cob and scn files.

It is a little weird how it is setup in trueSpace but it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:00 pm 

Now I am trying to load the mech.cob into the game engine but it's not showing up. I thought that by loading the caligari file in scene::loadingLevelData it would be included in the scene graph and rendered, but that's not all. I feel like I'm probably missing something really big here, but I can't quite figure it out. I tried going into truespace and changing the z (or the y... the up and down coordinates) up a few just in case it was below my floor, but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:48 am 
Site Admin

When you output the scenegraph to your log file, does your model show up in the list? If it does then take a look at the node transform to see where it is being rendered.

What is the scale of your model? If your model is too big then you may be inside it and you won't see it because backface culling is turned on.

If you don't see your model in the scenegraph then that means that the loading call failed. You'll need to use the debugger to find where/why it failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:26 am 

Actually, for some reason I can't get anything to print to the logfile. I have outputSceneGraphLog(); in scene::initialize(), did a complete rebuild and nothing prints.

It's almost like whatever code I write, VC Express doesn't care and is like, nope, it works this way not doing anything else. I tried changing the name of the file in the ErrorHandler constructor to log.txt instead of errorlog.txt and that has yet to show up when I run the game as well. It's still errorlog.txt. Any ideas why the changes I'm making to the code aren't showing up when I run it? Thanks very much for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

The best thing to do would be to run your code in Debug mode and step through the functions to see where the execution is going. You may be exiting early and/or not executing the code you think you are.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]