It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reg. using rendering optimization techniques
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 am 

Hi Marek and everyone else :) , I have a couple of questions. I'll try to keep them short.

1. I noticed that your engine does not use any rendering optimization except maybe quadtree rendering, I'm not sure, I just skimmed through the videos. Well, my old directx engine uses frustum culling, occluders and octree rendering on a polygon soup (static objects in the scene) and bounding volumes (of dynamic objects). I wish to use the scenegraph from your engine for object transformations and my rendering technique. How do you suppose I can combine both? Should I create a seperate child class of your NodeTransform class which contains the polygon soup of static objects and a render method within it which uses the above mentioned rendering optimizations while the other node transforms contain dynamic objects? Will this approach work?

2. How do I bring in animated models into the engine?

Post subject: Re: Reg. using rendering optimization techniques
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:35 am 
Site Admin

1. It all depends on what kind of game you are making. Each game type has a different requirement for storing data to optimize retreval and rendering. If you describe the game you are making I can give you suggestions on how to layout your object memory space.

2. I use FBX to load animated models into the engine. I have a post here (viewtopic.php?t=353) that talks about FBX but you'll notice that it only shows how to parse an FBX file, not actually how to wire in everything into the game engine scene. I didn't create a video series on this because the code is pretty involved and I wanted the game engine series to be easy for beginners to pick up and use. In the Ghost Toast series you'll find a simplified animated model (the skeleton ghosts), which is driven by the engine not by the vmk file that is loaded.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 am 

1. I'm making an FPS engine. I'm using Octree for spatial partitioning + View frustum culling + static occluders. Im using the same Octree for detecting collisions with the world. Every dynamic object has bounding volume (both sphere and box). The game is basically a typical FPS like Quake.

I found a few posts on http://www.gamedev.net regarding integrating Scenegraphs and Spatial Partitioning (Rendering systems). But still I'm not clear on what to do...

2. Can you point to some resources which deal extensively with integrating an animation file (like fbx) with our own programs? I realize that with DirectX it was pretty easy, since there were readymade functions for animated .x files. Even simple animations are enough for now I guess, no inverse kinematics and stuff!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Admin

A good reference for this kind of thing is: http://realtimecollisiondetection.net/

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]