It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: GameDev VMK 5 - Scene class
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 am 

I have the same problem as in this post
Quote:
I have followed the code in your VMK 5 Scene Class video and my code compiles and runs without error but I don't see the triangle at all. I have checked to make sure that the coordinates for each of the corners of the triangle are not mixed up, and that it is not rendering backwards. Still no Triangle!

However after reading through the post specified I still don't see how to make VS 2010 work since the following is very vague:
Quote:
YAY lol, only i had to go into additional includes and change the libraries names from original to (Name)_Debug.lib so that the linker can find them. All works well now thank you so much. I think that MS changed some of the iternal structures and settings to VS. Glad that it works now, thank you for your time and help.

The problem seems to be with VS 2010 having changed this line
Quote:
Configuration Prop. > Librarian > Output File = ../_build/$(ProjectName).lib for the debug version this is set to ../_build/$(ProjectName)_Debug.lib

But I don't have Librarian anywhere in the Configuration Properties and the post above is not very clear on where to change "additional includes" that I need to change. How do I get to the "additional includes" in VS 2010? Also, what is "Name" in the (Name)_Debig/lib stands for is it the name of the project?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Yuri13 wrote:
But I don't have Librarian anywhere in the Configuration Properties and the post above is not very clear on where to change "additional includes" that I need to change. How do I get to the "additional includes" in VS 2010? Also, what is "Name" in the (Name)_Debig/lib stands for is it the name of the project?

If you select the GameEngine project in the solution explorer and go to Project > Properties you'll only see that you have "Linker" option. This is because GameEngine is your executable project.

If you select one of your library projects in the solution explorer and then go to Project > Properties, then you'll see that you have a "Librarian" option.

The "Additional include directories" option is found in the project properties in Configuration Properties > C/C++ > General
The "Additional Library directories" option is found in the project properties in Configuration Properties > Linker > General

$(ProjectName) is a variable that is defined by Visual Studio. If you want to see exactly what this variable equals, click on the "Additional include directories" edit field. You'll see a little drop down arrow appear at the far right of the edit box. Click on that to get a drop down list and from this list choose Edit. This will open a dialog showing you all your include directories. In the bottom right corner you will see a "Macros" button. Click on it and a new section will open up. Here you will see a listing of all the variables and their values. Scroll down to ProjectName to see its value. If you are in the GameEngine project, then $(ProjectName) will equal "GameEngine". If you are in the Math Library Project then $(ProjectName) will equal "MathLib" etc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:16 am 

Quote:
If you select one of your library projects

I don't see "library projects" in my solution explorer. I only have:
Solution Game Engine
under that
Game Engine
under that
External Dependencies
Header Files
Resource Files
Source Files

when I click on any of the onse below Game Engine, a side pannel pops up and I do see a (NAME) field there but it doesn't allow me to change it and there is no Librarian.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Yuri13 wrote:
I don't see "library projects" in my solution explorer.

Sorry about the confusion, the three libraries are not added until VMK 16a (http://www.marekknows.com/downloads.php?vmk=gameEng16a)

At VMK 5, you should only have one project (your GameEngine executable project) inside the solution explorer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 am 

The problem that I have has to do with the triangle not rasterizing even though the code looks right. I am using VS 2010 and read some of the posts that seemed to have solved this issue but their solution is not clearly stated so I can't fix this problem. One of the posts just states that he found another "useful" and the "useful" post states the he changed default to (NAME)_debug.lib in the "additional includes". The problem is I don't know what he means by that and how to get to these "additional includes" and even if this is the true culprit in the first place. I am running VS 2010 in win7 on virtual box in Linux, but I doubt that could be the cause of the triangle not rasterizing.

Post subject: triangle is not rasterizing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:48 pm 

I followed all the tuturials to vmk5 and I am sure the code is correct however my triangle is not rasterizing. The output is:
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\tarball\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Game Engine\Game Engine\_Debug\_Debug.lib.exe', Symbols loaded.
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\glu32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\devobj.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\VBoxOGL.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\VBoxOGLcrutil.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nsi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\VBoxOGLpackspu.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\VBoxOGLerrorspu.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\VBoxOGLfeedbackspu.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'_Debug.lib.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\VBoxOGLpassthroughspu.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3a0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[1480] _Debug.lib.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

I checked to see that the vertices are given the right coordinates to make sure that the triangle is not being drawn as a line or a point so the problem is not with the code. I am using VS 2010. What should I do to fix this problem?

Post subject: Re: triangle is not rasterizing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:08 pm 

Did you check to make sure you are assigning the vertices in the right order along with back culling turned on/off? If you are not winding your vertices correctly then you will not see the triangle. Other then that I could not begin to tell you since I can not read your code.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:48 pm 

Thanks for your help, but it turned out that the problem was the fact that I mistyped the following line:
m_pTriangle = new Triangle(v1, v2, v3, 0.0f);

I had:
m_pTriangle = new Triangle(v1, v3, v3, 0.0f);

That's why it was so hard to find this error.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Good work in finding the bug in your code.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:05 am 

Excellent, I am glad that my mentioning of the vertices winding order helped you to look where your bug was located. It turns out that your bug wasn't in the wrong winding order but rather you were sending the wrong vertices, which happens to be a valid parameter for the function and the program will run without any error. These are the hardest bugs to find. Even a simple mistake as using a minus instead of a plus can be very tedious to find. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]