It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shader VMK 72 - More Gui Loader Code
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Admin

The Gui Loader code is expanded to include support for loading Null, GuiImage, GuiLayoutAbsolute, and GuiLayoutGrid objects. The Utility class is updated to support handling conversions from strings to different types of values and types.

Post subject: Re: Shader VMK 72 - More Gui Loader Code
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:37 pm 

Hey Everyone,

Been slamming my head for a bit. I went back and was working on the Utilities class to improve some stuff and I've run into a bug I've slammed my head against for 3 hours now. I don't believe I changed anything related to this and have even attempted to load up an old version of Utilities and the bug is still present, but previously had no issues. Additionally I'm having a hard time understanding the error fully outside that it can't find GetValue that is called in StringToValue template function.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "private: static signed char __cdecl FUtilities::GetValue<signed char>(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &,unsigned __int64 &)" (??$GetValue@C@FUtilities@@CACAEBV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@AEA_K@Z) referenced in function "private: static bool __cdecl FUtilities::StringToValue<signed char>(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &,signed char *,unsigned int)" (??$StringToValue@C@FUtilities@@CA_NAEBV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@PEACI@Z) E:\Programming\ProjectGenesis\Game\ONEngineDebug.lib(Utilities.obj) ProjectGenesis

What I'm gathering is showing is that it can't link FUtilities::GetValue, but it's implemented just like in VMK 72:

Important Header Portion:
private:

FUtilities() = delete;
   FUtilities(const FUtilities& InRef) = delete;
   FUtilities& operator=(const FUtilities& InRHS) = delete;

template<typename T>
   static bool StringToValue(const std::string& InStr, T* InValue, unsigned InNumValues);

template<typename T>
   static T GetValue(const std::string& InStr, std::size_t& InRemainder);

}; //Utilities

template<typename T>
static bool FUtilities::StringToValue(const std::string& InStr, T* InValue, unsigned InNumValues) {
   auto NumCommas = std::count(InStr.begin(), InStr.end(), ',');
   if (NumCommas != InNumValues - 1) // Example: If asking for 2 values, should have 1 comma
      return false;

std::size_t Remainder;
   InValue[0] = GetValue<T>(InStr, Remainder);

if (InNumValues == 1) {
      if (InStr.size() != Remainder) {
         return false;
      }
   }
   else {
      std::size_t Offset = Remainder;
      if (InStr.at(Offset) != ',')
         return false;

unsigned LastIndex = InNumValues - 1;
      for (unsigned u = 1; u < InNumValues; ++u) {
         InValue[u] = GetValue<T>(InStr.substr(++Offset), Remainder);
         Offset += Remainder;
         if ((u < LastIndex && InStr.at(Offset) != ',') || (u == LastIndex && Offset != InStr.size())) {
            return false;
         }
      }
   }
   return true;
}

In .cpp file are the three GetValue functions:
template<>
float FUtilities::GetValue(const std::string& InStr, std::size_t& InRemainder) {
   return std::stof(InStr, &InRemainder);
}

template<>
int FUtilities::GetValue(const std::string& InStr, std::size_t& InRemainder) {
   return std::stoi(InStr, &InRemainder);
}

template<>
unsigned FUtilities::GetValue(const std::string& InStr, std::size_t& InRemainder) {
   return std::stoul(InStr, &InRemainder);
}

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:52 pm 

Wow that was rough. Figured out my issue, the template was mapping to an "int8" which I've typedef for smaller storage than the "int" and I didn't have a specific "int8" GetValue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:40 am 
Site Admin

nice work! The linker error messages are sometimes really hard to decipher as you have experienced :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:32 am 

Agreed, linker errors are rough and it seems linker errors associated with templates are even nastier.

I've been going back through some code between your original VMKs and my expansion of the engine after reading portions of Scott Meyer's latest effective modern c++ book to implement as a learning exercise and sometimes you feel you aren't touching a part of the code it shouldn't break.... wrong!

Great book btw, nice new updated items for C++11 and C++14 that follow along with his previous "effective" books.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]