It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: There are so many GUI tutorials in Shader VMK.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 am 

I think Shader VMK should focus on shader usage and Advanced 3d Programming not on the already haved so many 2D and GUI tutorials.

Post subject: Re: There are so many GUI tutorials in Shader VMK.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 pm 

It is called a Shader Engine. All of this work that is being done now is all prep work to setup the Engine to handle many different kinds of situations. Without all of this, if you was to go into the process of developing a game using the engine, you would see a lot of repeated source code to do the same tasks over and over again with nearly the same algorithms except for different objects. Show me any game that does not have a menu system. I believe Marek has already stated multiple times that by creating this hierarchy that is nested with template abstract classes while having a parser to handle the data sets for different types allows you to modify what is being rendered without having to rebuild your project every time you change just a single coordinate, size, color or property of an object. This will make for faster development when building games, and an easier mechanism for debugging. The whole entire system here either it being able to render an image or text within a grid layout or other types is utilizing shaders. Once the GUI system is completed, then it will probably be time to get into the scene graph hierarchy and working with 3D objects and their transformations and animations, being able to control the player and camera aspects. Once we have that then it would be time to add in other important things such as lighting and normals. It is at this point when all the different shaders will come into play, then after we are confident that all of the rendering aspect of the Engine is completed and working will be when other parts are the engine can be added to such as sound and possibly even networking. A Game Engine is not a simple couple hundred line project. If you followed the first 3 series you can see just to create a simple 3D First Person Shooter with the simplest and most basic of aspects to a Game Engine you will notice that the entire solution is about 20k lines of code across 100+ files. A Game Engine is comprised of multiple engines. Another thing to take into consideration here is if you look at the last few videos where we created a GridLayout and a StackLayout these class objects do all of the math processing behind the scenes for you automatically. This automated process makes life easier down the road. It is no different then any other aspect of programming; when you see repeated code, either create a function or a templated function. We still have yet to create buttuons, radio buttons, check boxes, sliders etc., and it seems like a lot of unnecessary code, but show me a game that doesn't have options or settings to adjust how the game behaves for each person that is using it. Without this GUI system the user of your Game Application would not be able to adjust the resolution, would not be able to set mouse properties, map keys to controls to their liking etc. I can not say directly but I have a feeling that this completed engine before even getting into using it to make a game is going to span over a few hundred video sessions, and I am looking forward to all of them.

Post subject: Re: There are so many GUI tutorials in Shader VMK.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

The Shader Engine series is focused on showing you how to build a Game Engine that uses Shaders to render things on the screen. I specifically started with the GUI elements first since the GUI is 2D and it is much easier to learn and use in shader code. Once I finish implementing all the common 2D elements that you need for a game (text, buttons, progress bars etc) then I'll dive into sprites, the animation manager and audio manager. After that, then we'll be ready to start making 2D games. Once we are at that stage, then we can start playing with shaders to see how they affect performance and visual effects within games. We can't do that any time earlier since we need the fundamentals built first. After that then we can see how to tweak the code to add the next dimension and start making 3D games.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]