It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Caligari Parser Alternative
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:06 am 

Hey Marek,

Do you have any plans to implement any other formats other than Caligari's?

I am used to a different modelling tool and I'm planning on implementing a 3DS parser so I'll have something more flexible in case I decide to change modellers in the future.

Do you think 3DS is a good choice? Do you have any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 pm 

Well the .obj file format is human readable and probably quite easy to implement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

I have code at home to parse the following popular gaming formats:
MD2 (Quake 2 models)
OBJ
3DS
MDL (Half-Life format)
MD3 (Quake 3 models)

I've noticed a number of things that I don't like about the caligari file format so maybe I will make a video about some other file format.

3DS is a good choice because it is very popular and it is also somewhat similar to the caligari format (chunk based).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm 

That would be great.

I just got the Caligari format working. Glad to have that done. 3DS would be great just in case I change my mind again about which modeller I want to use.

I was also thinking that it might be a good idea to remove the need for the extra checkbox to say whether an object should be solid. I was thinking of adding in a check when the texture is loaded to see if there are alpha values that are not opaque to decide whether the object will be solid.

What do you think about this approach? Can you think of any time when you'd want to be able to make a texture opaque sometimes and not others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

The reason why I added that extra parameter was because I didn't want to go through the entire texture looking at the alpha value of each pixel to see if it is transparent. Usually you will know ahead of time whether the texture has an alpha channel, and whether the alpha channel is used or not.

I quickly did a little scan across the internet to figure out which file format to use, and I think I will end up using FBX. 3DS is about 6-7 years old and it doesn't support some of the newer features such as multi texturing. FBX is relatively new and supposed to be a "standard" 3D file format used by both Maya and 3D Studio.

You can read more about this format here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... eID=123112

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]