It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: General Game Development Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:00 am 
Site Admin

I've been thinking of different ways that I can help people and I came up with the :idea: idea :idea: of making video tutorials for everyone. I just finished my very first one (AutoCAD) but I already have 132 others in the plans.

So many topics that I could choose, let me know what you guys are all interested in.  Post your comments below.

Post subject: Re: What VMK's would you like to see?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:41 pm 

Mathematics and Game Development with C++? I think that would be great if you will go futher into it...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:12 pm 

How about making Pak file like thinkg2k was doing in the 3dbuzz c++ forums??
or maybe an RPG :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone think if may be useful for me to make a general "welcome to C++ programming" set of VMK's?

I could explain things like how to work with strings, numbers, binary values, hex values, if, for, switch, while, logic operators and things like that. Just a general introduction to programming using C++.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:17 pm 

i think general is mostly covered.......there are lots of sites for general learning of c++

i think most people are looking for tutorials on particular topics

myself i want the pakage file loading tutorial

maybe a good 3d model format viewer/loader like .mdl or .md3 or something like that..

maybe a VMK on making utilities to make programming easier
such as and editor of some sort(for ex... a script editor for a new scripting language etc.... or character editor or stuff like that)

a good vmk on source control or ways to easily make backups of code
BEFORE you add new functionality

there are lots of topics i could tell yah about :D:D:D
Artificial Intelligence DLLS making .lib files the STL and
coding a BSP algorithm or a quadtree or an octree

making a 2d game etc.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:22 pm 

At this very moment I was going to ask you for the settings that you are using for the videos you are making. You know, the basics is covered and mostly people can figure them out. But other things, that is between basic and actual programming is not covered EVERYWHERE.

I wanted to take hold of this, Chris and I was also thinking of making videos explaining such concepts. What are the most hardest things to get a good grasp on? Pointers, strings, Bitwise operators, and some I/O techniques, not to mention Overloading Operators, and I could keep on...

I think you should focus on that Engine of yours, and it's mathematics, I would galdly supply you with those tutorials. Give me format, and the topics you want covered, and I speak to Chris about them and try to make some good source code and videos.

Your friend, Mossa TheGreat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:27 am 

Anyone think if may be useful for me to make a general "welcome to C++ programming" set of VMK's?

I could explain things like how to work with strings, numbers, binary values, hex values, if, for, switch, while, logic operators and things like that. Just a general introduction to programming using C++. I think this is a good idea... Most C++ tutorials on the net are written. Personally, I find it easier to learn from video tutorials. That way I can see what is going on and I tend to understand better from hearing it explained.

Just my opinion :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:52 pm 

whenever you feel that your game engine is "done" what about working on a World Builder for it? Or even better, some kind of Networking feature? That would be sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

That's a good idea. I was also thinking that I could create a different game engine... something like that used in a 3rd person strategy game like Warcraft.

Adding Network support, Force Feedback, Sound & Music are all on my list of things to add to the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:13 pm 

Excellent! As soon as we do the tutorials we have from you, we'll start coding something our selfs, we already have some Design document in the progress... Also we are trying to make you that logo, we are hoping to win the membership...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:15 pm 

I don't really know... Isn't your videos too short to be explaining about 3D Game Engine programming? How come they can be that short? Maybe you could explain things better? Or something...

By the way, I know that the engine doesn't compile properly on Visual Studio 2005, that is what I am using. Plus many people uses Visual C++ Express Edition which uses the 2005 C++ compiler... Some simple adjustments is needed as far as I remember... What about you make a "Maintence" video or something, explaining really fast what is going on with the source code that can't get compiled in 2005.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:32 pm 

I would find a "Classes" VMK useful. Both to go over the basics and go over ways of accessing and changing private member variables.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:26 pm 

I would like to see VMK's for the Half Life 2 Source Engine - maybe making models in XSI, importing them, etc. And maybe animations. Its way out of your way, but I'd appreciate it :P

God Bless '_^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:11 am 

I would enjoy seeing a 2D Rpg game being made and more advanced topics as well such as a scripting language and and Immediate Mode GUI system in Opengl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:51 am 

As already been said, it would be great to get some more VMK's on the GameDev and the math that lies behind it.

First some comments to the GameEngine Project:

----------------------------------------------------------------

While not being greatly far into the videos, I can see there are no videos on how to e.g. set up the player model for the player to control around in the enviroment. Let me try to explain a bit further, if you take a normal game, like Quake or so, you often have your character model at the player camera showing your weapon in the view. Will this be handled in future videos to come, or have I simply missed that out? :)

In addition to this, will you show the users how to implant 3d models having animations, such as perhaps letting a animated person walk across the plane in the 3d world?

As a last comment to the GameEngine project, will/have you made it possible to set some limits on whether the player class can walk through obejcts and such? I am thinking in ways like; "The player should not be able to walk through a house side,but rather through the doorway in the house object", or it that normally not set within the graphics engine?

- Otherwise, great videos and helpfull comments that makes the user understand the small tricks and details you use in the C++ programming.

Other comments:

----------------------------------------------------------------

As a second surgestion, I can see you are using Matlab for the Math VMK's, are you planning to make any videos regarding the use of Matlab? I, myself, would like to see some VMK's on the more advance use of the Matlab programming language if possible, of cause if you find the time to make these.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:55 am 

One last note, about making introductory VMK's to C++ programming would, in my oppinion, perhaps draw more attention to the website, since a lot of people wanting to learn C++, might have difficulties when it comes to sit down and read through all the web learning tutorials. By being explained what the code does visual, might just be what some people need. This would draw even more users to the website, but it depends on what sort of users you expect to be having as visitors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

I've decided to make the game engine generic enough so that you can use it for an RPG game, sci-fi game or even a car racing game. Because of this I haven't set up the player model for the user to control just yet. In VMK 40 or so I am going to talk about how to change the Camera and Player classes so that you can have a 3rd person camera rather than a 1st person cam, and at that time, I will address how to attach your own model.

3D animation is covered a little bit in VMK 29e. I won't be doing any advanced animation like bipeds walking until I finish this series of VMK's. I want to cover animations in a separate VMK series.

Preventing the user from walking through objects will be handled in the Physics Engine VMK's that I will be starting after I finish the FPS game engine VMK's. There are a lot of fun things I want to do in the physics engine including: particle dynamics, wind, gravity, collisions with static objects, and dynamic objects and also implementing vehicles. You can see a little blurb that I wrote up about the physics engine here: http://www.marekknows.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=75

Are there any specific topics you would like to see done in Matlab? Originally I was going to have a whole separate section of VMK's on Matlab and Simulink but once Mathworks released Matlab 2006a I noticed that it comes shipped with many video tutorials already. I figured I could spend my time better by making OpenGL VMK's instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:32 pm 

Excellent news Marek, looking forward to seeing the upcoming VMK's on the Game Engine project!

Your ideas about the physics engine sounds interesting aswell, should be fun trying out once you start releasing some VMK's about it.

As for the Matlab section, I don't have anything specific minded currently, if something suddenly comes to my mind, or I find having a specific question, I will simply just ask under the math section.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:23 pm 

VKM's that I would like to see:

-- C++ programming from day one to the GameDev series

-- Maybe make some pay to download video's on how to write the file viewer application, font application, and how to make your own file format.

-- As for your idea to write a new engine that would possibly be like Warcraft, that rocks, would love to see how to do a client server application with login, character creation with multiple options for the appearance of the character(like there is for Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divived), backend databases, the whole schmear. This could also have a bit of community involvement with input on the design document, with strict guidelines and rules to keep it from getting out of control . Then you could walk through the whole thing from begining to end with some uml modeling thrown in as well. I would ante this one up as possibly a premium subsciption even. Okay back out of the dream world.

-- Video's on how you created this site would also be nice to see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:53 am 
Site Admin

Hi jmenzer, I have a few comments about what you posted:

>> C++ programming from day one to the GameDev series .... not quite sure what you mean by this. GameDev starts off with a fresh project and no code. Everything is developed in the GameDev series.

I am now recording VMK's that discuss hot to make your own file format and these are going to be included in the GameDev DVD that will be for sale in the store. If I have enough spare time in the next month or so, I should be able to wrap everything up, but if not, then it will take a little longer.

Interesting idea with the warcraft engine.... hmmm.....

I would like to make VMK's covering PHP, HTML, CSS development, but right now I don't have the time to focus on these. But what I will do is bump up your request higher up on my list of TODO. So you may see these sooner then later.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:21 am 

Sorry about not being a bit more clear on the C++ tuturials, a few people mentioned doing some general C++ vids, since most of the beginer stuff on the web is text based. But going back and reading the descriptions of the videos already availible you can strike that and just put in a request for one on pointers.

I look forward to the release of the DVD, that is a great idea. Also cant wait for the Web videos. Keep up the good work

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:52 am 
Site Admin

check out C++ VMK 6. It covers pointers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:05 am 

Hi ! What I would like to see are some Windows Api tutorials just to get accustomed to creating windows and things like this in order to move on to Opengl.

Anyway your site rocks !!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:35 am 

A VMK on Asserts would be cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:52 pm 

Arthy wrote:
Hi ! What I would like to see are some Windows Api tutorials just to get accustomed to creating windows and things like this in order to move on to Opengl.

Anyway your site rocks !!!

You might be interested in using glfw, a library that helps you creating you window, really easily and it even does not need any changes in order to be compiled for a different OS.

-- sorry, couldn't help advertising the great library I have found

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next