It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Direct X in C++
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:40 am 

I always loved the tutorials at 3D Buzz but they never got into Direct X as in how to open a file requestor or add pixels to an open window or even to open a window.

I know your 3D Engine is based off of Open GL but the norm seems to be Direct X.

My dream is to write a 1st person shooter in Direct X and no extras like 3rd party libraries that also cover the basic like opening dialog requestors without using The Visual C Wizard or the .Net framework.

I want pure C++ code without all this other junk. I'm traditionaly a 68000 series assembly man from the Amiga days and a z80 from the Coleco days, but they had manuals to show you how to open and use requestors. These days I can't find sqat except for your website as well as 3D Buzz.

I'll pay good money for that knowlege.
I'd buy your whole set buy I know nothing about OpenGL and getting by in Direct X but at a snails pace.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:57 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the website.

When I started the OpenGL Game Engine series, I was thinking that I would create a game engine that could use both OpenGL and DirectX. However as things progressed I ended up ditching the DirectX part because there wasn't enough interest. You'll see in the earlier videos I started laying down the framework to be able to swap out renderers.

If there is enough interests I could make a mini series showing how to convert the OpenGL engine to a DirectX based engine. Most of the work has already been done it is just a matter of removing the OpenGL API calls and replacing them with DirectX.

Post subject: How do they do it? Half Life 2, Far Cry?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:38 pm 

How do they get such speeds out of ordinary hardware?
Is this some type of tight, optimized code or is there a combination of assembly language in the matrix?

I want to be realistic with my programming, I knew what my limitations were with the Colecovision using Z80 Machine code mostly due to 32k of ram and even then part of it was the OS instruction set. This as well as the speed I knew I wasn't making something huge but then you get pitfall and pitfall 2.

I don't expect your tutorials to teach me to make a photorealistic game better than GTA San Andreas but I would like to make something as smooth as Far Cry. Without a design team I don't expect anything too soon either.

If I knew how to convert the OpenGL or make a game that will use both I would buy your DVD just for that.

My setbacks are using Direct X functions using Visual Studio 2008.
I picked up a book that teaches you these things but it was meant for windows 98 API and I had to turn off the Unicode function in order to get it to compile mainly because I don't WANT to use .NET and Microsoft keeps shoving these things down your throat like Win Vista.

Going back to one other thing as at present I use Visual Studio 2008 in order to compile in 64 bit's as well as 32. I don't know of another compiler that will do it in 64.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm 

A video tutorial showing how to convert the engine into directx is something i would really like to see as well. It would be absolutely great if you could take the time to do so!

I have never seen any form of educational material presented in such an easy and understandable way as here. i think the work your doing here is fantastic!

So exactly what is required to get you to take the time to write this tutorial? "enough interest" is a bit losely described. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]