It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
What type of tutorial would you be most interested in getting?
 BSP / PORTALS for handling collision etc  11%  11%  [ 1 ]
 Shading tutorial  56%  56%  [ 5 ]
 Ghost toast 3D FPS Game  11%  11%  [ 1 ]
 Physic Engine  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Tutorial on DirectX support for game engine.  22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

Post subject: What would you be most interested in?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:48 pm 

Hey guys, it would be interesting to know what type of tutorial you would be most interested in getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:11 pm 

Ghost toast -because the game contains a lot of 3D elements - the division of space (BSP or octree or quadtree, frustum etc.), physics (collisions, friction etc.,), artificial intelligence (open your door, bypass obstacles, traps, to hide, attack the hide). Shadery can be added when the game will be ready. DirectX tutorial - first should be a very well-known API (OpenGL), then you move on Direct3D will be easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:57 pm 

Would be great if ghost toast series could stop beeing a GUI tutorial and
start becoming a tutorial on making a FPS. I don't really have much
interest in anything 2D. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

endasil wrote:
Would be great if ghost toast series could stop beeing a GUI tutorial and
start becoming a tutorial on making a FPS. I don't really have much
interest in anything 2D. :)

:) you'll be happy to know that I'm done developing the GUI. Next up is the "level editor". I'll be coming back to some more GUI stuff a little later to place indicators on the main screen for score, health, ammo etc, but this will be no more than one VMK.

Post subject: Once again Direct X
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:22 am 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I've mentioned it before but I think I would eventually be able to create a better game if it was completely Direct X.

I say this becuase I am sceptical of Microsoft optimising their code to perform on their machines. I just think a Direct X game would perform better on a MS built machine than OpenGL.

Ghost Toast is important because Marek is actually doing all the work, I am learning off of him and eventually I will create my own baby but until then I will keep on typing the other VMK's.

In reality by the time I'm done with the hundred hours of tutorials, I just bought 35 slots and got the rest of Ghost Toast and have 99% of all the others through the DVD, I'll take up Direct X then.

If you think about it, after everything is done, you should know how to program in OGL and DX so its a win win situation.

Either way, I still prefer Direct X.

Bukaroo

Post subject: What about levels other than 1st floor?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:33 am 

What about levels other than 1st floor?

What I mean is what about creating, say a building with two or three floors. Do collisions handle going up stairs and what not?

This would be a good tutorial.

When I first ran the game engine off of the DVD I thought to myself that THIS IS IT! And then when I moved forward I ran through the barrels and couldn't jump up on them.

A tutorial to do these things would be not only worth while but extremely cool.

I honestly don't know how to do that. Back in the day every time I moved a sprite I would check the pixel color under the X/Y coordinate and if it was a hit I would call a subroutine. I just don't know how to do it in a 3D world. It's like moving from C to C++, new ideas in programing but somewhat the same.

Bukaroo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:34 am 

Quote:
:) you'll be happy to know that I'm done developing the GUI. Next up is the "level editor". I'll be coming back to some more GUI stuff a little later to place indicators on the main screen for score, health, ammo etc, but this will be no more than one VMK.

Thats wonderful! I am really looking forward to seeing more 3D tutorials!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:39 am 

DirectX and OpenGL APIs are both working on the same hardware. For graphics card is indifferent or OpenGL or DirectX will send data about its tip. If you know an OpenGL well to the transition to DirectX is a matter of knowing the differences in the processing of data by both APIs. The game works like it wrote. Windows does not say wow DirectX graphics to better view and add 100FPS. ;)

Quote:
Bukaroo7000
What I mean is what about creating, say a building with two or three floors. For the collisions handle going up stairs and what not?

I wrote a simple collision detection but that no one is not interested (I wrote about it here: http://www.marek-knows.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=49). You can even download. The current version of conflict now working flawlessly in every situation (after entering the stairway, diagonal walls, etc.)

Quote:
I'll be coming back to some more GUI stuff a little later to place indicators on the main screen for score, health, ammo etc, but this will be no more than one VMK."

HUD created himself - his life, ammunition, weapons etc. (including the engine is very simple). And one to WMK certainly enough to show that. For sure I see the video - it might be better to do.

Post subject: What a cruel choice. :)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:09 pm 

What a cruel choice. :twisted: :)
Basically all the subjects are equally important.

Here is my priority queue:
[1] Ghost toast 3D FPS Game
[2] Physic Engine
[3] Tutorial on DirectX support for game engine
[4] BSP / PORTALS for handling collision etc
[5] Shading tutorial (the least important - that's just a decoration on top)
:roll:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]