It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Caligari dead end?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:34 pm 

I'm not sure where to post this--the Caligari VMK forum hasn't had anything posted for a couple of years. Just let me know if this should be somewhere else.

I'm up to the Caligari import VMKs and thought it would be cool to actually view some of the models. So I installed GameSpaceLight and can't get past the serial number input screen. No matter, I thought, since TrueSpace 7.6 is now free, so I download it and it doesn't seem to understand .COB files.

So do I go through the tutorials hoping all will be revealed in due course? Or is there a direct path to being able to open and manipulate .COB files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Firstly, have a read through this thread: viewtopic.php?t=66

With trueSpace 7.6 you can still create COB and SCN files but it it a little hidden. Going from memory, you need to select an option in the top right hand corner of the screen that will change your view to the trueSpace 6.x interface. From this workspace you can choose File>Save and then you'll have the option to save COB files.

I don't have trueSpace installed on my PC anymore so I can't give you exact instructions so I hope you're able to find the option that I'm describing above.

When you do get it working, could you post some screen shots in this thread of how to make this change for others to see?

thanks,
Marek

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:56 pm 

I'll go through that other thread and make the indicated modifications before panic sets in. Since you don't use Truespace any more, do you have an $0 modeling tools to recommend? I'm afraid Maya is a little pricey for me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

The only other full featured free 3d (wow say that sentence fast 3 times!) modeling package that I can think of is blender (http://www.blender.org/) I tried using it for a while but the UI was not my style so that is why I went with trueSpace. Nowadays I only use Maya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:29 am 

Blender is very good. Try it and start with tutorials about the UI.

Stick to it and you will see why its great.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]