It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ghost VMK 0 - Introduction
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

A brief introduction to the Ghost Toast series. This series will take you through the entire game design process of creating a FPS game on paper and then building it inside Visual C++ 2005. I use the OpenGL Game Engine (which can be purchased from the store) as the starting point for this project.

All 2D textures and 3D models used in the game will be given to you as you progress through the videos but feel free to customize the game to your own needs as you see fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 am 

Now thats what am talking about!8)

Its great to see how things will be applied in a complete game, bringing the game and physics engines together.

Am not keen on FPS games but I look forward to the desing process.

Good one Marek :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:54 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty excited about this series myself. I currently have 1/2 the game working and it looks and feels pretty good. Now I'm starting to add in the AI into the ghosts and things are getting a lot of fun!

Curious, what kinds of games are you interested in if they are not FPS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 am 

FPS games kind of get repetitive for me. Can play them but not more than 20 mins before I get bored!

I like "thinking" games eg Adventure, RTS, mystery games and the likes. Games where i don't just walk around killing and blowing things up.

Have you seen Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague from Fictional games? If you haven't, you should play the demos. It will give you an idea of what I mean.

I like those games, great use of 3d technology graphics and physics. The atmosphere is great too.

I aim to create games like that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:12 am 

Im not really fond of FPS games either, but if I can make an FPS it can't be too hard to modify to an adventure or RPG game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:59 am 

Am actually working on some 3d puzzle games to help improve my engine and tools.
Then once they can handle complex settings, am going for an adventure game which I had designed previously.

Space games are also on my TO DO list as well.

RPG games are cool, but tend to be more complex due to all the stats and quests you have to code and balance.

But hey, without challenges Life would be boring won't it? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:34 am 

Wow Marek great idea!
I'm pretty exited to see the animated mashes in action. Will you be using bone animation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:35 am 

i thought FPSs were one of the easier game types to create and manage (compared to an RTS) and such, engaging FPSs r fun but so are RTSs and MMORPGS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:37 am 

I would like to create the game style the Alien Breed (I love this game) , shadowgorunds etc but FPS it`s OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:35 am 

qsik777 wrote:
i thought FPSs were one of the easier game types to create and manage (compared to an RTS) and such, engaging FPSs r fun but so are RTSs and MMORPGS

It all depends... A sprite-based approach can easily be applied to an RTS, making an RTS easier. An RTS also looks better (assuming you do use 3d) than a fps when they both use little physics. As there is more to an RTS game it will often be more big-prone and harder to balance.

And as for an mmorpg, that's not even a genre all by itself, it's a supergenre. A simple textbased mmorpg is way easier to make than any 3d game (though getting the bandwidth to truly support the first m may actually not be an easy task - it will include paying monthly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:33 pm 

when dealing with RTSs, wouldnt Pathfinding, AI, and very optimized network code( if multiplayer was included)make the project all but undoable? FPSs are generally easier yes?

--as the experts say, MMORPGs that are 3d and can host lots of ppl and are fun can't really be done by one person

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:59 am 

Yes, if you choose so.

In fact, the experts say no game at all can be made by a single person.

For AI and pathfinding the very same thing goes, you can make it as hard as you want to, and if you want to include networking possibilities that does indeed also make it hard.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]