It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: General Game Development Questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:58 am 
Site Admin

Post any questions about Game Development that are not specific to a VMK here.

If you are developing the Open Game Engine using Visual C++ 2005/2008 Express, I recommend you download VMK 45 at the start so you are aware of the differences between the compiler that I use in the video's and the compiler that you will be using.

Last edited by Marek on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: General Game Development Questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:41 pm 

I would so much like this to go on for a little longer, if is possible to make some introduction so people, like me, can do different things. You don't have to explain everything mainly, just introduction to some of the things you face from time to time. Like blogging, pieces of a code...

If you ask me it doesn't have to be completely planned before you record, just that you do some quick enchancement and explames on the current thing...

I thank you very much for the one you have made up until now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:13 am 

I have a few things that might improve your Engine as far I have seen from the list of things. Maybe you can show how you can save player properties? Like a skill system or something likes that? Such things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 am 

I just wanted to says that I simply love that PDF file you have made and set up.

This is not needed for the series best, but perhaps you could make a video explaining how you go on for designing such documents for your program? This is UML isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 am 
Site Admin

I used Microsoft Visio to create the flow charts in the PDF document.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:16 am 

I want to ask a question regarding 3d game development if anyone can help me with it. Well i am currently in high school and i want to do 3d game development in University. Is it really worth the time because i see game industry nowdays very competative and it must be really hard to find job. If i pick the subject where should i start. any suggestion or advice from experienced programmer like Marek will be great help. Thank You!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:17 am 
Site Admin

I started programming when I was in grade school. By the time I hit high school it was clear to me that I really enjoy programming. I focused my studies in Math and Science. Programming always came naturally to me. When I had to apply for university, I didn't really know what to do, but a guidance councelor told me that I should apply for engineering. At the time I had no idea what an "Engineer" was. I did a little reseach and decided that computer engineering was a good fit for me. I applied and .... I didn't get in. Instead the university offered me a position in electrical engineering.

After doing a little more research I found that there were a lot of similarities between computer and electrical engineering... so I took the position in electrical. The University of Waterloo has a very strong co-op program. Every 4 months you switch between school work and real work experience. During this time I learned a lot about programming structure and different methods of "thinking". To be a good programmer requires a lot of structured though processes.

Anyway to cut a long story short after I was done my degree, I realized that my specific degree really didn't matter in the end when looking for a job. What really mattered was my experience. I have friends that went into Computer Science @ university, but they can't get game programming jobs like me because they don't have the experience. I didn't take any game programming classes, I learned all that out of text books. What I did learn in class is program structure and logic. That is something that I think is difficult to learn straight from a book.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Marek on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:18 am 

Hi.

First of all , the vids are great(I have seen three of them already).
Second , are you going to include culling methods for your render pipeline?
Which methods?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:19 am 
Site Admin

I'm building the game engine "on the fly". As people put in requests, I add things into the engine. When the need comes to cull objects, I guess I'll have to add some method to do that.... I haven't thought about it much yet though.

If you have any suggestions please let me know, and I'll see if it is feasible for me to implement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:20 am 

Thank you very much for your generosity. I really appreciate it! I have to say I have really enjoyed the videos thus far. Programming is really fascinating to me and I was so excited to have come across your site because up until now I have had a really hard time finding lessons on-line that were more than just "this does that" etc. I feel like I have had all the tools, but no real direction on how to use them. Anyhow I really appreciate what you have done with these videos. Also, I was hoping you might suggest or recommend a good book or resource that I could use as I continue to develop my skills. I am currently reading Code Complete 2nd ed. by Steve McConnell. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks again!

Francisco "Frank"

P.S. I've done some DirectX programming in the past and the Windows syntax has always been a bit difficult for me. Could you offer any suggestions or resources that might help me better understand or get to know its syntax?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:23 am 
Site Admin

If you are interested in purchasing books then I would highly recommend the following two:

1. Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition) ISBN-10: 0672323699 ISBN-13: 978-0672323690

2. Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization ISBN-10: 0672318350 ISBN-13: 978-0672318351

Both books are written by André LaMothe who happens to have the same birthday as me :)

I own both books and they are what got me started with windows and game programming using DirectX. The game development series books from http://www.course.com/catalog/subcategory.cfm?category=Game%20Development are also pretty good. I would say that I own about 70-80% of these books.

If you get series into game programming then I would also recommend the following site http://www.charlesriver.com/Books/TopicDetail.aspx?id=2 There are a lot of very helpful books there... especially the Game Programming Gems series.

Last edited by Marek on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Vertex Buffer Objects vs display list
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 pm 

I am not sure if this is covered but what are the constraints on speed by sending things through the pipeline when you game engine starts to be populated with load of stuff.

I dont follow the VMK to a T in fact a dart around on areas on intrest as I am building my own engine. so i dont know if this is covered. currently I am doing so terrain chunks but only in a display list. I dont get rid of the data in memory when i put them into display list. I probably should. but I plan to recall various chunks based on the players position. a type of terrain pageing yet simpler. think repeating backgrounds in a cartoon.

So I am kind of worried on performance issuses and should I move things straight to the VBO? I attempted this with no real look at all however. I dont fully understand how to get what i need in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

The rule that I follow when optimizing code. Don't optimize until the program is done.

Don't waste time optimizing your code while you are still developing your application. There are so many factors that play a role in the performance. If in the end your application runs fine without optimizations, then you're done. Don't worry about it. It it is too slow, then find out where the bottle necks are and fix those parts. Don't try to build the "optimal" solution because there is no such thing.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others will disagree with me

Post subject: Before converting to vertex buffers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 pm 

well low and behold i hit that performance issuse :) . I Have a set of terrain tiles that make up a track. They are 256x256, then i chunk them in to 128x128 I hope to eventually cull these. I understand the idea of for X number of squares in the chunk you need X + 1. but i cant seem to get that working. here is an image of the chunks <a href="http://members.gamedev.net/ashstampede/ref/bad_chunks.png">bad chunks</a>

i set up the array the holds the vertices like so
terrain[chunkWidth * chunkHeight], have tried adjusting this base on more opengl game programming book. but in the book the demo source uses a 2d array where i use a 1d array.

to solve the gaps and allow the terrain to overlap they make their 2d array
new arr*[width/(chunkw -1)]
then loop to create the columns
new arr[height/(ch - 1))
then the index array to hold all the chunks are a size
inArr[((chunkH -1) * (chunkWidth*2 +2)) -2]

well i have the equivalant, but in 1d arry form for the chunk data and then an array that hold all chunks. I tried to convert those values to use in my terrain generation with no luck. Just any suggestion and help will be greatly appreciated.

sorry if this is confusing. I will repost tomorrow and any code if anyone reads this over.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]