It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ghost VMK 16 - HUD Font
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 am 
Site Admin

A new font is added to the Ghost Toast game and it is used to display numerical items on the HUD. The Health, Energy and Arrow count indicators are now visible when you play the game.

Post subject: Re: Ghost VMK 16 - HUD Font
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:27 am 

I noticed you had a command inside the consoleParse() that wasn't shown inside of any other vmk. It was the command reset for the player's position. I went ahead and implemented it just as I seen in the video.
I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it might be worth checking out. Try using the coordinates 0,0,0 then close your console, "Do NOT move forward; ... this works fine" but as soon as your console is closed move backwords using the 's' key and check to see if you get a debug insertion failure, you may also want to make sure your collision detection is on. I only seem to be getting a debug insertion using the console reset 0,0,0 then closing the console and walking backwards. I don't know if there are any other spots or not. If you walk forward then this doesn't happen because the collision detection with the walls/corners keeps you inside of the maze.

If you want to see a your level from a different perspective... comment out the function call to check our collisions it will make moving around easier, but use the move command to any arbitrary x and z value, but for the y value set it between 10-15 you will now walk above the lvl and you can see where the map generator is deciding to place either a box or a flatgrid for the roof section. any place that you see the floors is the flat grid if you have back-face culling on, otherwise a box is drawn. This is a nice way to visualize how you want to draw your tga.map file.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 am 
Site Admin

If you reset your position to 0,0,0 and move backwards you will be moving your player outside the limits of the game area. Unless there is a check in the code to prevent this, then it should be expected that the game will crash since you'd be trying to access resources that are outside of the game area using negative indices to some of the containers used to store your data.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:14 am 

That does make sense, thank you for the explanation. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not, but would be a good security check to prevent it from happening, but since the user wouldn't have the option of the console they wouldn't be able to access it, so the overhead of catching this error isn't really needed. However, if you do provide the access of a command console with your game, then the prevention would be necessary. If the later option is the case; where would be the best place to prevent this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]