It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mareks engine in Java
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:10 am 
Site Admin

A headlight is added to the player so that as they move in the scene, a light source follows their position and points in the direction that they look.

Post subject: Re: GameDev VMK 22 - Headlight
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:41 am 
Site Admin

This VMK has been split into part A and B so that the download file size is a little bit easier to work with. Because of this, VMK22a will only play up to the beginning of 20min. VMK22b contains the rest of the video. After you download both parts, you can extract all VMK files (from 22a and 22b) into one directory to allow you to watch the entire VMK in one go.

Last edited by Marek on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GameDev VMK 22 - Headlight
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:40 am 
Site Admin

For a better way to handle the F button key presses, in the GameOGL::HandleKeyboard() function replace the code that we wrote in this VMK with:

//headlight
if (m_bKeys[VK_KEYF]) {
     m_bKeys[VK_KEYF] = false;
     m_pScene->ToggleHeadLight();
}

Post subject: GameDev 22 - Headlight
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm 

I thought it would be potentially useful to not require that the headlight be first, so I modified the headlight functionality to use a Scene member variable m_uiHeadlightID that would be set when I called AddLight on the desired light. This also allows no headlight at all, if the user doesn't want one. It works as desired, but now I have a question for the more experienced game designers in the room: is that more trouble than it's worth? Or, put another way, will there always be a headlight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:59 am 
Site Admin

If you are making a FPS with lights enabled, you will most likely have a headlight. If you don't then you're going to have to make sure you have enough lights in the scene to illuminate all the objects or else the user won't be able to see anything!

You could make a game with lights disabled (making the game look like a cartoon), in that case you wouldn't need a headlight.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]