It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: OpenAL VMK 9 - Play a Stream of Audio
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:02 am 
Site Admin

The AudioManager class is updated in this VMK so that a stream of audio can be created, deleted and played. Make sure you understand how multiple threads (Intro to C++ VMK 15) work before watching this video.

Oops, in the VMK I forgot to include the following code inside the AudioManager::cleanUp function. Make sure you add this to the beginning of the function call:
void AudioManager::cleanUp() {

//delete all update streams
   EnterCriticalSection(&m_criticalSection);
   m_lUpdateStream.clear();   
   LeaveCriticalSection(&m_criticalSection);

Last edited by Marek on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: How much fun Streaming can be.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:20 am 

That went very smoothly. I also like the fact that you included a second thread. Running multiple threads is nice, yet the pc I have is a Quad Core, and I don't know how much work it would be to utilize all 4 of my proccessors. Where in the Game Engine itself, you could implement the 1st core to handle all windows and other running proccess on one core in the background. Then with the 3 remaining cores, while the game engine (game) is active bring them to the front and have one core designated for just the graphics, a second to do all phyisics, AI and user input, leaving the 3rd to do all Sound and any clean up where necessary. I think this would make an ideal engine for todays computers and gaming, especially with the Core2 Duo being the standard, the Quad Core, Quad Core Extreme, and the i3, i5, and i7 series out there. Not counting the fact if you were to start writing your games for consoles as well, such as the PS3, XBox360, XBox720 or WII where they are all mulit cores as well.
Although right now I am only running 32 bit systems, one day I may drift over to the 64bit system which is a different topic altogether. These could be ideas to work on for future VMKs once we have the Sound Engine complete and ported into the game.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]