It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shader VMK 15 - Engine and Game Classes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Admin

The base Engine singleton class is created in this video and it will become the focal point of the Shader Engine. An Empty Game class is also created in this vmk to allow us to compile and run the code that we have so far.

For a refresher on how to setup and create windows, please watch the OpenGL Game Engine VMK 3.

Post subject: Re: Shader VMK 15 - Engine and Game Classes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 pm 

I finished the video. I went back over it two or three times and I do not see any typing errors. Everything compiles and builds correctly. In your video when you run the program your window displays with a white background, when I run mine, the window displays however, it is transparent.
Any idea on why this might be? Am I missing something? The only thing I do notice is that when you are creating the windows app structure you are passing nullptr into the hbrBackground parameter. "Scratching my head, lol"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

To tell you the truth, I was actually surprised that my screen was showing a white window. I was expecting it to be transparent since we specified nullptr. I'm guessing the difference that you are seeing is based on the fact that we are probably using different video cards. I wouldn't worry about this yet since we are actually not sending anything to the window to draw so what you see now doesn't really matter. Once we do start sending data to the window, if you are not seeing the same thing that I am, then you should be concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 am 
Site Admin

I just noticed a typo in the Engine::start() function call.

You need to change the second parameter passed into PeekMessage to NULL if you want the code to work as expected:

if( PeekMessage( &_msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE ) ) {

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 am 

Working with a multiprocessor computer, when using the QueryPerformanceCounter, how would you use the SetThreadAffinityMask so that the main application doesn't get switched to another processor? This would be
something to know how to setup and be aware of. Also, since we have a BlockThread and BlockProcess class,
are you planning on creating this application to be of a parallel program design?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]