It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shader VMK 16 - Keyboard Input
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:52 am 
Site Admin

In this video I add the code that lets us handle key presses (and releases) on the keyboard when the game window is in focus. I also add the ability to suppress repeat key presses.

Post subject: Re: Shader VMK 16 - Keyboard Input
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 pm 

I followed the video exactly and everything works as expected. If the console is in focus nothing happens and if the window is in focus and I press the keys the console does display the key down and up messages, however, when I press the ESC key it does not exit the game, it displays the key pressed and released in the console. I put a break point in the Game::keyboardInput() function at the line where PostQuitMessage(0) is called. When I run it through the debugger the execution does stop at that line so execution is going into the if statement before it, when I press F11 to step into the PostQuitMessage() function it is skipping over it and leaving the scope of the keyboardInput function. ????

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Did you make the change that I mentioned here: viewtopic.php?p=2530#p2530

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:40 pm 

All works well, thank you. I never noticed you had posted it. It is crazy how one little variable can change the whole course of an application.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hello Marek, first of all great videos! I have a small problem with the keyboard code that suppresses held down key messages.

if ( 0 == (lparam & 0x4000000))
{
KeyboardInput( wparam, true );
}

This code always fires, it seems bit 30 is always 0. As mentioned on the comments here
MSDN LINK

It seems to be related to my os Win7 64bit. I can't figure out why it doesn't work, or how I can make a work around to get this working.

Do you know how/what I should do about this?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

I'm also using Win7 64bit and the code is working for me. You should expect to receive a 0 in bit 30 when you first press a key. If you continue to hold down the same key, bit 30 should go high to 1. If you are not seeing that happen then there may be something wrong with your keyboard driver. You could always manually handle the suppression of held keys by just monitoring the previous state of each key. This will just be a little bit more work, the OS should do it for you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]