It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shader VMK 37 - Asset Storage Class
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

In this VMK I introduce a new singleton class called AssetStorage that is used to manage all the game assets that are loaded by the engine.

Post subject: Re: Shader VMK 37 - Asset Storage Class
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm 

I completed this a couple of days ago, very simple class.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 pm 

Hey Everyone,

Need some help with something I always struggle with... object creation, copying, independence.

Say I need multiple meshes displayed on the screen of the same object I've already loaded in to AssetManager with an Id of "Suzzane". If I want to push back onto a vector of static meshes, the following code works, but I run into a problem. The second "Suzzane" is just a pointer to the first Suzzane so if I say send a transform only to the second Suzzane, both objects get the transform.

How would you correctly make an independent copy of a object stored in the AssetManager without reading in an .Obj file again.

Here is what I have that I've been messing around with for a couple hours now and I have a feeling the answer is something extremely easy and elegant... just stumped. Additionally it was wierd being forced to dynamic_cast the return from AssetStorage->GetAsset. GetAsset returns a base object, but it wouldn't let me store that in a vector of derived class without the dynamic cast.

// Meshes is a std::vector<FStaticMesh*>

// Testing obj file reader and rendering a 3d model
ShaderManager->Enable(STATIC_MESH);
FONEFileReader* File = ONE_NEW FONEFileReader(TEXT("Assets/suzanne.one"));
Meshes.push_back(File->GetONE<FStaticMesh>(TEXT("Suzzane")));

// Second mesh is a box model (Seperate the creation of the two Suzzanne objects in the Mesh vector for testing)
File = ONE_NEW FONEFileReader(TEXT("Assets/box.one"));
Meshes.push_back(File->GetONE<FStaticMesh>());

// Second suzzane should go into same Batch3D as first Suzanne and utilize same loaded model data
FStaticMesh* Suzzane = dynamic_cast<FStaticMesh*>(AssetStorage->GetAsset(TEXT("Suzzane")));
Meshes.push_back(Suzzane);

I also tried the following, but I didn't have a FStaticMesh constructor that accepts a base object, is that what I need to create?
FStaticMesh* Suzzane = ONE_NEW FStaticMesh(AssetStorage->GetAsset(TEXT("Suzzane")));
Meshes.push_back(Suzzane);

Thanks in advance for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

if you want to share the loaded vertices, then what you need to do is abstract out your transformation matrix so that you can have two instances that use different transformation, but they both use the same set of vertices.

I'm uploading my solution to challenge #4 right now, so you can follow the same sort of thing that is done there.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]