It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shader VMK 90 - Render Queue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:42 am 
Site Admin

This video show how to improve the rendering technique used in the Shader Engine so that we minimize the number of draw calls that we send to the video card during each frame.

Post subject: Re: Shader VMK 90 - Render Queue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:46 am 
Site Admin

As I was editing the video it dawned on me that there is an even better way to queue up gui render calls. I need to test out my theory with some sample data before posting an updated video.

If you can come up with a better algorithm than what is shown in this video, and you can prove that it works by posting a sample test.gui file that proves it, I will award you 250 download credits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:28 am 

Hey Marek, VMK 90 doesn't show up available for download yet. I've attempted to clear the cache and reload the downloads page, but no luck. Curious about the algorithm you mentioned.

Also, quick question on the download pages, is there any possibility of having a quick link at the top to the latest VMK download? I can see the pages are .php, so I suspect the VMK list is being dynamically generated and a simple anchor link to the bottom of the page wouldn't quite work until it loads all the pictures, but sometimes slow internet connections take for ever to load up all the VMK images to allow you to scroll to the bottom. Maybe some async loading of the VMK images so that the entire structure 1-through latest VMK has placeholder boxes that allow the entire page structure to be in place on page load? Anyways, very very low priority, just a thought. Much more interested in new VMKs ;P

Also, where do you think you are heading next with the Shader VMKs after GUI code?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:03 am 
Site Admin

I just uploaded the videos now so they should show up on the website if you refresh. the fastest way to get to the bottom of the page is to add the vmk number to the end of the url. This will cause the page to load until it gets to the vmk you requested . So for example, you could do the following

http://www.marekknows.com/download_shader.php?vmk=90p1

When I get some time, I'll add a link to the top of the page to take you to the bottom.

There is one more gui layout coming and then onto sprites and the animation manager.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:13 am 

Very nice optimization. It may not seem like a great boost in performance now, but when we get to the point where this engine is completed and we start using it to build a game and populate the asset manager with many objects, this will make a difference on the batch manager with how many render calls are being used.

And Happy Father's Day Marek!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]