It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shader VMK 109 - Build Number Update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

The Game project inside the Shader Engine is updated in this VMK to use the new Build Number program which is now available from here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=896

Post subject: Re: Shader VMK 109 - Build Number Update
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:04 am 

I'm trying to track down this bug. This is what is happening. I did this as a control test. I first cleaned my solution. I then opened the text file that the BuildConfig generates and changed the value to 0. I then did a full build. This incremented the value to 1. So now my solution has been built and now I am using ctrl+F5 to run without debugging. But for some reason this value is being incremented again and instead of seeing a value of 1, I am now seeing a value of 2 both in the console screen and in the text file.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:48 am 

After trying to debug the application; I do not think there is any problems with the code. I think the problem lies within MS VS2015. I wen into Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> Build and Run. On the right hand side these were the default options:

Maximum number of parallel project builds: set to 4
Only build startup projects and dependencies on Run: is checked
On Run, when projects are out of Date: set to Always buid
On Run, when build or deployment errors occur: set to Prompt to launch
For new solutions use the currently selected project as the startup project: not checked
MSBuild project build output verbosity: set to Minimal
MSBuild project build log file verbosity: set to Minimal

I ended up changing -
On Run, when projects are out of date: Prompt to build

I then did a clean and build. I changed the value in the BuildConfig.txt file to 0 and saved it.

Now I selected Debug -> Run without debugging or Ctrl + F5. It gives me a dialog box that my solution is out of date want to build. So I checked yes. Allowed the application to run, pressed escape to exit the ShaderEngine. Now I press Ctrl + F5 to do a run without debugging and the same dialog box comes up stating my solution or project is out of date.

This is why I am getting an increment of +2 every time I run this ShaderEngine even if I do not build or rebuild it even if I do not change anything.

Any suggestions, tips or answers on how to resolve this would be great before I begin to move onto the Zing VMKs. Thank You ahead of time!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Is the text file that tracks your build number inside your visual studio project? If so remove it to see if that fixes your issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:14 am 

The file still resides within the project folders in Windows Explorer and it is not in the Solution Explorer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:41 pm 

I found out what was causing the problem. In my Game Project under Resource Files within the Solution Explorer, I had the text files for the GUI system included in the project. I removed them, did a clean, deleted the BuildConfig text file. Then built the solution and it generated a new BuildConfig text file. Then with the options set within VS to prompt to build when projects are out of date. I did not get a message window asking if I want to rebuild each time I used Ctrl+F5. So I think I'm ready to move on to the next vmks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]